Friday, June 29, 2012

Studio 12 for Polkadoodles- my first DT project


Oooooh, here's my bit of good news for the month! The lovely Nikky Hall from Polkadoodles has invited me to join her new Design Team for her spanking new Studio 12 range. Lucky me eh? Now I know what some of you will be thinking- that's a digital range- and yes, tis true, I'm working with the Picknix CD, but Nikky has designed it to fit in with the arty, inky, messy crafting stuff I know and love. Hybrid crafting. So.......worth a try, eh?

First project- an art journal page.


I used one of the gorgeous ferns from the Garden kit in the Picknix collection, and enlarged it to fill the length of an A4 white card sheet.



I sprayed the whole fern with lime green and yellow inks- you don't have to be at all perfect about it, any extra splodges outside the lines will be covered up. When it was dry, I painted masking fluid onto the leaves and stem- the masking fluid dries as a rubbery coating and protects what's underneath it.


I then sprayed orange, red and black inks over the top, covering everything, including the masked off leaves. It needed a bit more texture, so I added some torn pages from an old telephone directory and white tissue paper, and sponged through some sequin waste with ink from red, black and white inkpads. 


Now it's time for the magic! Using clean fingers, I gently rubbed the masking fluid, it peeled off to reveal the green leaves underneath. The final touch was the doodling and journalling- the quote is from a film from my teenage years- anyone else remember Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

My idea was to bring some digital elements into my everyday messy crafting. That's what hybrid crafting's all about for me!!!

1 comment:

  1. Another fab creation - will need to read it a few more times to really understand your methods. I love PolkaDoodles and it is interesting to see your own style mixed in with the image. Ali x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!